Sort Order

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

The Charleston Archive at Charleston County Public Library Collections

6 Collections

IMAGES
article icon June 2011 •
Bettie La Barbe Postcard Collection

Originally a native of Raleigh, North Carolina, Bettie La Barbe spent several years (approximately 1904 - 1923) in Charleston as a teacher and the directress of Kelly's Kindergarten at Saint Andrews Episcopal Church (located at King and Poinsette Streets). She retired to Asheville, North Carolina and remained an active member in her community until her death in 1955. The collection consists of just over three hundred Victoriana-era postcards collected by Miss La Barbe between the years 1903 - 1935.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |
article icon June 2009 •
Charles N. Bayless Photos of Charleston

A collection of images of buildings in downtown Charleston, taken between 1979 and 1988 as part of a photographic project funded by the National Endowment for the Arts.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |
article icon January 2010 •
Jack Keilen Slide Collection

John J. ("Jack") Keilen (d. 1999) was a native of Pittsburgh and received a Ph.D. in chemical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. He came to Charleston during the mid-1940s, working first for West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company and later Charleston Rubber Company. An avid amateur photographer throughout his life, Mr. Keilen took several thousand of photographs during his annual vacations around the world. The present collection consists of nearly six hundred color slides taken around Charleston and the Carolinas between 1944 and 1990.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |
article icon June 2009 •
Photographic Record of the Cooper River Bridge

The collection consists of two scrapbooks recording the construction of the John P. Grace Memorial Bridge. Completed in 1929, the bridge spanned to Cooper River Bridge to connect Charleston and Mt. Pleasant, S.C.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |
article icon October 2010 •
Photos from the Records of The Historic Preservation Planner, BCD-COG

These photos are from the collection, The Records of the Historic Preservation Planner, Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments (BCDCOG), 1970 - 1981. A large portion of this collection is comprised of the research materials collected for the publication, Historic Preservation Plan Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Region, with the rest being non-survey regional research materials, general business files of the BCDCOG historic preservation department, and topical and miscellaneous files. The majority of the photographs that appear here were taken and compiled by Elias Ball Bull - the tri-county regionís first historic preservation planner Ė who initiated the process for several hundred of the properties to be included in the National Register of Historic Places. These are the original photos filed with the register nominations; some appear on the National Register website, however, many have been replaced with current images or were not included on the National Register.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |
article icon January 2011 •
The South Carolina & West Indian Exposition Photo Passbook, 1901 - 1902

The photos in this collection were taken as part of a season pass that patrons could purchase for unlimited admission to the South Carolina Inter-State and West Indian Exposition, held in Charleston in 1901 and 1902. Each individualís photo was mounted in a passbook kept by the patron and a duplicate photo was mounted in an album kept by the Director of the Departments of Admissions and Collections, Hugh James Fleming (whose image is on page 34, number 297). The album contains images of 1,326 people, of whom 1,213 are identified by a caption presumably made at the time the photograph was taken. The total number of season pass photos taken for the Exposition is unknown, but similar photos beyond the present collection are known to survive in extant individual Exposition pass books. Mr. Fleming donated this photographic album in 1948 to the Charleston Free Library (now called the Charleston County Public Library). The letter regarding its provenance and donation to the library has been included as the final image in this collection (number 157). Since the paper on which the gelatin silver photographs are mounted is extremely brittle and in a state of deterioration, the album was disbound several years prior to its digitization in order to facilitate its preservation.

View Collection Web Site | View All Items |