The Lowcountry Digital Library sets out to accomplish the following:
- Develop an expanded digital library that provides all patrons with access to information through local, state, regional, national, and international electronic networks.
- Consolidate the Lowcountry Digital Library to include a variety of materials from public and private archives, including but not limited to libraries, archives, and museums.
- Foster relationships between the digital library and the regionís cultural heritage institutions. Provide training and support to smaller, underfunded institutions that would, otherwise, be unable to make their materials freely available online.
- Establish a sustainable technological infrastructure for the Lowcountry Digital Library.
- The Lowcountry Digital Library will make website space available for educators to place lesson plans and activity plans related to the primary sources that are available on the site.
- The Lowcountry Digital Library will elicit input from scholars to ensure that the collections included in the project improve access to unique materials and thereby improve curricula at the regionís colleges and universities.
- The collections will be placed into a freely accessible CONTENTdm repository. Front-end access to the collections, including search and browse options, will be provided through a newly constructed Lowcountry Digital Library web portal. The collections will also be available through the contributing institutionsí own web sites and through the South Carolina Digital Library.