42.5 x 22 x 20"Dental restoration. permanent: Apparatus"Metal dental lathe mounted on a wooden platform with an iron base and foot petal powered wheel that turns and operates on a pulley-system. which in turn moves the lathe."
10 x 22 x 13.5". Dental case. "Wooden case with multiple velvet lined instrument compartments on either side and a sliding drawer under the main compartment. Edges are bound with silver. Instruments include a mother of pearl handled mirror. scalers. and shears. Some of the original instruments have J. Chevaliers mark. but other instruments have been added over the years. The original Traveling Dental Chevaliers Chest was invented in 1840 by J.D. Chevalier. This particular case was originally owned by Dr. Charleigh Thaddeus Dowling. 1823-1904. who practiced dentistry in the Orangeburg and Barnwell areas of South Carolina and carried the instruments with him as he went from one town to another to care for people's teeth."
0.75 x 5 x 0.5." Dentistry. Operative: Plugger"."Plugger with silver tip, gold band and mother of pearl handle. The instrument was used to pack filling material into a tooth cavity. Dr. Flagg was the first full-time American dentist. For years it had been thought that this tool had been made by Paul Revere for his student Dr. Josiah Flagg, but there is no evidence to support this claim made by the item's original donor.
0.125 x 0.5 x 0.5, 0.25 x 0.375 x 0.375". Commemorative and association items. Two lapel pins. XI PSI PHI-Dental fraternity was established in 1889 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Small gold lapel pin with black enameled shield with gold logo. Pin is set with blue opals. PHI Epsilon PI-social fraternity small gold lapel pin with chain. Front of pin is decorated with small rubies and seed pearls with a black enameled shield and gold logo. Both fraternity pins belonged to Dr. R. Webb Thomson (1877-1964) from Spartanburg, S.C.
1 x 5.25 x 2.5. Tooth extraction:Turnkey. Metal turnkey with folding shaft and a single claw. The instrument was used by barber-surgeons for pulling molars. The earliest examples of the extractor were patented in 1797.
5.5 x 7.75 x 5.5. Root canal therapy. Pulp tester comprised of metal and fabric cords housed in leatherette box. Tests for a live nerve in the pulp of teeth by sending a burst of electricity into the tooth.
For a 360 degree view of the object, place cursor over image, click, and drag to the left or right. Requires Quicktime player. 2 x 1.125 x 1.125."Dental restoration. permanent: Alloy/amalgam". Clear glass bottle with paper label and missing screw cap. This mixture would have been utilized in the process of tooth fillings.(record 2008-19MDM)
For a 360 degree view of the object, place cursor over image, click, and drag to the left or right. Requires Quicktime player. 2.5 x 0.5 x 1. Nebulizer and vaporizers: Atomizer."Clear glass atomizer with metal nasal douche. Gold and peach paper label reading "Aristaloy". Missing rubber hand-ball."
For a 360 degree view of the object, place cursor over image, click, and drag to the left or right. Requires Quicktime player. 2.0625 x 1.25 x 0.75". Dental restoration, permanent: alloy/amalgam. Clear glass bottle with red plastic screw on cap and paper label. (record 2008-19MDM)