51 X 33 X 45."" Dental Unit. "Dr. Alfred's Hydraulic Motor consisting of metal with fabric covered hoses was developed by W. D. Alford. a Dillon. South Carolina dentist. who thought a water driven drill motor would be very useful when electricity was not available in rural areas. The free standing unit uses a water-powered turbine which is operated by a foot control. It is connected to a S.S. White dental chair with a bracket. table. cuspidor and saliva ejector. Dr. Edward Welsh. a professor at the College of Dental Medicine and a consultant for the Macaulay Museum of Dental History has published an article concerning this instrument with illustrations. The article was published in the Journal of the Student Dental Association. Vol. 4. December 1987. pgs. 21-22."
10 x 22 x 13.5". Dental case. "Wooden case with multiple velvet lined instrument compartments on either side and a sliding drawer under the main compartment. Edges are bound with silver. Instruments include a mother of pearl handled mirror. scalers. and shears. Some of the original instruments have J. Chevaliers mark. but other instruments have been added over the years. The original Traveling Dental Chevaliers Chest was invented in 1840 by J.D. Chevalier. This particular case was originally owned by Dr. Charleigh Thaddeus Dowling. 1823-1904. who practiced dentistry in the Orangeburg and Barnwell areas of South Carolina and carried the instruments with him as he went from one town to another to care for people's teeth."
2 x 8 x 14".Dental casting technique: Color/shape guide."A sample card containing 78 hand carved ivory blocks in the shape of samples of teeth. These samples were made by dental students as senior projects at Northwestern University in the late 1920's and 1930's. The collection was assembled by Dr. Frank Anaturo. Northwestern Dental Faculty."
3.5 x 3.5 x 2.5."Dental restoration. permanent: Apparatus".Black plastic box with two holes in the top with screw covers. One is marked for Alloy and one is marked for Mercury. Raised letters Caulk Alloy Mercury Base. The molded bottom is formed to fit on a screw top vessel. This mixer was used to combine various metal alloys used in tooth fillings.
0.75 x 5 x 0.5." Dentistry. Operative: Plugger"."Plugger with silver tip, gold band and mother of pearl handle. The instrument was used to pack filling material into a tooth cavity. Dr. Flagg was the first full-time American dentist. For years it had been thought that this tool had been made by Paul Revere for his student Dr. Josiah Flagg, but there is no evidence to support this claim made by the item's original donor.
1 x 6 x 3.5. Tooth extraction:Turnkey."Ivory handled turnkey or extractor with metal shaft and claw that were probably hand forged. no makers mark. The instrument was used by barber-surgeons for pulling molars. The earliest examples of the extractor were patented in 1797."
1 x 5.25 x 2.5. Tooth extraction:Turnkey. Metal turnkey with folding shaft and a single claw. The instrument was used by barber-surgeons for pulling molars. The earliest examples of the extractor were patented in 1797.
5.5 x 7.75 x 5.5. Root canal therapy. Pulp tester comprised of metal and fabric cords housed in leatherette box. Tests for a live nerve in the pulp of teeth by sending a burst of electricity into the tooth.