Caption: 'No.29. South angle of Fort Sumter after the War, Charleston, S.C. This picture represents the South Angle of Fort Sumter, after it had been subjected to a terrific bombardment, lasting through many weary months, from the Federal Batteries on Morris' Island...' Handwritten on reverse: Mch 26 1875. Geo & John hunting for a bum shell around the corner. O.J. Stough' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'No.5. South Carolina Institute Hall--Charleston, S.C. This spacious and elegant Hall was situated on the east side of Meeting Street, between Queen and Cumberland Streets. It was begun in March, 1853, and finished in December, 1854. This Hall obtained great celebrity, especially in a national point of view. Being the most commodious Hall in the city, accommodating some twenty-five hundred persons on the main floor and gallery, it was selected as the place of meeting of the Democratic National Convention, which assembled in Charleston on Tuesday, the 24th of April, 1860...' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'No.6. Ruins of St. Finbar's Cathedral, Charleston, S.C. These ruins can be seen at the corner of Broad and Friend Streets. It fell a prey to the terrible conflagration of December, 1861. The corner-stone was laid in August, 1852, and it was dedicated in April, 1854. It occupies the site of the old St. Finbar's, a wooden building..' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'War Views. No.176. Cheeves' Point Battery, Charleston.' This appears to be a view of the Battery at White Point Gardens. The label which identifies this as Cheeves' (sic) Point Battery is in error. Cheves Battery was located on James Island near what is now Ft. Johnson Estates. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'War Views. No.207. The celebration at Fort Sumter, April 14, 1865. Arrival of the guests, Charleston Harbor.' Official re-raising of the American flag at Fort Sumter. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Caption: 'Washington, D.C.' View of tents, very likely a military camp, as soldiers can be standing in front of one. Assumed to have been taken sometime during the Civil War. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
Hand-tinted photograph measuring 9" X 7 1/4" that depicts the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 12th, 1861. Shown in the image: Floating Battery, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, Fort Johnson, Gunboat Lady Dora and William Seabrook.
Handwritten at bottom, front: 'North-western angle and western face of salient angle as seen from the terre-plain. Fort Sumter, S.C., April 15th, 1861.' Interior of Fort Sumter following the Union surrender to Confederate forces. This mounted image measures 9 1/4" X 7 1/4" overall.
Handwritten at bottom, front: 'Terreplain of the Gorge--showing the guns in barbette. Fort Sumter, April 15th, 1861.' Photograph shows men in uniform sitting and standing around cannons. Two men in dark suits with top hats stand to the far left. Soldier to the left holds a tattered flag. Solder to the right stands on a cannon and holds a rifle in his hand. Evidence of bombardment, note the brick and rubble underfoot. This is a mounted image that measures 9" X 7 1/4" overall.
Handwritten on reverse: 'Arsenal gate, Charleston, So. Ca.' View of the gate to Charleston Arsenal (at 167 Ashley Ave). Four men in uniform stand just inside gate. Door to the building can be seen center in the distance. There are children in the foreground, two are standing near a wooden tricycle at left. The Arsenal was constructed in 1841. Seized by the Confederates in December 1860, it was held by them throughout the war until 1865. In 1866, the federal government used the site as a Federal Military Reservation, but in 1879 the Arsenal was closed. This image was likely taken as part of the photographic survey done in 1865 but could have been taken at any time until 1879. This image measures 3 1/4" X 4".