Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Bridges -- South Carol... (201)

Date
ca 1929 (11)
1929-03-30 (5)
1929-03-22 (3)
1929-06-21 (3)
1929-08-09 (3)
Show more...

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

Photographic Record of the Cooper River Bridge

 Sort by: Title Description
181.
vol1_p046
vol1_p046 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress March , 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Town Creek Span and Drum Island Viaduct."
182.
vol1_p052
vol1_p052 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): Progress March 8, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. West (left) half of Town Creek Span completed and traveler being dismantled. Viaduct traveler erecting span 17D. East cantilever arm complete."
183.
vol2_p012
vol2_p012 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress - Cooper River Span, May 17, 1929 at 4:30 P.M."
184.
vol1_p058
vol1_p058 Unnumbered image (5" x 7"): Progress March 15, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Town Creek Span - Drum Island Viaduct."
185.
vol2_p037
vol2_p037 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress on Cooper River Span, June 7, 1929 at 4:30 P.M."
186.
vol1_p064
vol1_p064 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress at 4 P.M., March 22, 1929. Town Creek Span - Drum Island Viaduct."
187.
vol1_p066
vol1_p066 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Lowering 33 ton, 150 HP Gasoline hoisting engine, under its own power. Town Creek Span. Ridden down by W.E. Omohundro, Sup't., W.S. Patterson, Pusher, and John Shelton, Engineman."
188.
vol1_p070
vol1_p070 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress, March 29, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Town Creek Span complete except riveting and travelers removed."
189.
vol1_p075
vol1_p075 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress, April 5, 1929 at 4:30 P.M."
190.
vol2_p030
vol2_p030 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7'): "Progress in Cooper River, May 31, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Lost 3 days since May 24 on account of lack of steel."
191.
vol1_p084
vol1_p084 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress, April 12, 1929 at 4:30 P.M."
192.
vol1_p085
vol1_p085 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress, April 19, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Note east end of East Approach (extreme right) under erection by C.E. Hillyer."
193.
vol2_p009
vol2_p009 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress in Cooper River, May 10, 1929, at 4:30 P.M. East viaduct (right) has been completed and viaduct traveler removed."
194.
vol2_p006
vol2_p006 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Airplane view of the Cooper River Bridge - looking east. May 9, 1929. West approach, in foreground, completely paved. Town Creek in foreground, then Drum Island, Cooper River, and Mt. Pleasant. Charleston in lower right."
195.
vol2_p003
vol2_p003 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress in Cooper River, May 3, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. East Approach (right) complete except two spans."
196.
vol1_p072
vol1_p072 Unnumbered Image (5" x 7"): "Progress in Cooper River, March 29, 1929 at 4:30 P.M. Drum Island Viaduct (left) just completed. Span Traveler A (right) re-erected. Drum Island Viaduct / Pier 5 / 270' Deck Span / Pier 6 / 270' Deck Span / Pier 7 / 450' Anchor Arm / Pier 8 / 1050' Main Span (Cantilevers & Suspended Span) / Pier 9 / 450' Anchor Arm / Pier 10 / 270' / Pier 11 / 270' / Pier 12 / 270' / Pier 13 / East Approach Viaduct."
197.
vol2_p100
vol2_p100 Picturing the Bridge. The story of the Cooper river bridge as told in the special editions of the Charleston newspapers was rendered vivid by the wealth of illustrations in those publications, showing progress of the work on the great structure from the beginning to the moment of opening. These pictures will make interesting history and will doubtless be shown in years to come by many of those who participated in the jubilation of yesterday and will be keen to tell of the celebration to the youngsters who will take it all for granted that there is a driveway across the Cooper for their cars. The engineers and builders of the bridge, as, indeed, all of the officers of the corporation which owns and of the contractors who built it, cooperated in every possible way with the newspapers in the making of the special editions complete records of the work and of the occasion celebrated at the opening, and to them The Evening Post expresses its appreciation and thanks. Especially is it under obligations to Mr. E. L. Durkee, engineer of the McClintic-Marshall Company, for putting at its disposal his extensive collection of photographs of the work during the various stages of its progress. The pictures tell the story of the bridge as no verbal description could and there are virtually no significant phases of the work which escaped Mr. Durkee's camera. To have had access to this collection was the good fortune of The Evening Post and of the public to whom it was enabled to present them.
198.
vol1_p035
vol1_p035 Unnumbered Image (5" x7"): "Progress, Feb. 15, 1929 at 4:30 P.M."
199.
vol1_p100
vol1_p100 Picturing the Bridge. The story of the Cooper river bridge as told in the special editions of the Charleston newspapers was rendered vivid by the wealth of illustrations in those publications, showing progress of the work on the great structure from the beginning to the moment of opening. These pictures will make interesting history and will doubtless be shown in years to come by many of those who participated in the jubilation of yesterday and will be keen to tell of the celebration to the youngsters who will take it all for granted that there is a driveway across the Cooper for their cars. The engineers and builders of the bridge, as, indeed, all of the officers of the corporation which owns and of the contractors who built it, cooperated in every possible way with the newspapers in the making of the special editions complete records of the work and of the occasion celebrated at the opening, and to them The Evening Post expresses its appreciation and thanks. Especially is it under obligations to Mr. E. L. Durkee, engineer of the McClintic-Marshall Company, for putting at its disposal his extensive collection of photographs of the work during the various stages of its progress. The pictures tell the story of the bridge as no verbal description could and there are virtually no significant phases of the work which escaped Mr. Durkee's camera. To have had access to this collection was the good fortune of The Evening Post and of the public to whom it was enabled to present them.
200.
vol1_cover
vol1_cover Cooper River Bridge, Vol. 1, 1928 - 1929, Record By E.L. Durkee, Property of Beth Steel Co., Eastern District