Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
Charleston Museum homeLCDL homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

SC County
Charleston County (S.c... (30)

Subject
United States -- Histo... (24)
Charleston (S.c) (12)
United States -- Histo... (12)
Bombardment (11)
Fortification (11)
Show more...

Creator
Barnard, George N (4)
Cook, George L (1)
Cook, George S (Georg... (1)
Taft, dr r.b (1)
Clarke (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

Charleston Museum Civil War Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
1.
East Bay Street
East Bay Street Caption: 'War Views. No.179. Ruins of the Northeastern Railway Depot, Charleston.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7". Date assumed to be 1865.
2.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Caption: 'War Views. No.212. East face of Fort Sumter from top of Palmetto Fortification, Charleston Harbor.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
3.
unknown
unknown Image shows partially demolished buildings. Rubble piled on the ground to the side and at the front. Assumed to be Charleston but location is unknown. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
4.
Broad Street
Broad Street Caption: 'War Views. No.190. View on Broad Street--looking East, Charleston.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
5.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Seven men sit among rubble and cannon. Most of the men appear to be in a military uniform - likely Confederate. Fort is, at least, two-stories with regular arched openings. [Appears to be Fort Sumter after the Federal surrender in April 1861.] This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
6.
East Bay Street
East Bay Street Handwritten on reverse: 'Northeastern R.R. station, Charleston, S.C. after explosion of 1865.' This is a carte-de-visite that measures 2 1/2" X 4".
7.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Image of the wall at Fort Sumter showing cannons, two men in uniform and another in a top hat. Taken April 15, 1861 [directly after the Federal surrender of the Fort to Confederate forces]. This is a mounted image that measures 7 1/2" X 91/2" overall.
8.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Handwritten at bottom, front: 'North-western angle and western face of salient angle as seen from the terre-plain. Fort Sumter, S.C., April 15th, 1861.' Interior of Fort Sumter following the Union surrender to Confederate forces. This mounted image measures 9 1/4" X 7 1/4" overall.
9.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Handwritten at bottom, front: 'Terreplain of the Gorge--showing the guns in barbette. Fort Sumter, April 15th, 1861.' Photograph shows men in uniform sitting and standing around cannons. Two men in dark suits with top hats stand to the far left. Soldier to the left holds a tattered flag. Solder to the right stands on a cannon and holds a rifle in his hand. Evidence of bombardment, note the brick and rubble underfoot. This is a mounted image that measures 9" X 7 1/4" overall.
10.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Interior of Fort Sumter during the War, showing the destruction after the bombardment including the broken flag pole. To the left, in the background, men are removing rubble in wheelbarrows. This image is similar to a cabinet card but slightly larger, measuring 5 1/2"" X 8 1/2"".
11.
Fort Sumter
Fort Sumter Caption: 'War Views. No.207. The celebration at Fort Sumter, April 14, 1865. Arrival of the guests, Charleston Harbor.' Official re-raising of the American flag at Fort Sumter. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
12.
Charleston Harbor
Charleston Harbor Hand-tinted photograph measuring 9" X 7 1/4" that depicts the bombardment of Fort Sumter, April 12th, 1861. Shown in the image: Floating Battery, Fort Moultrie, Fort Sumter, Fort Johnson, Gunboat Lady Dora and William Seabrook.
13.
Folly Island
Folly Island Handwritten on reverse: 'This is my store house on Folly Island SC. Lieut. D.C. Brown, RQM [Regimental Quarter Master] Vol Engs [186].' This is a carte-de-visite that measures 2 1/2" X 4".
14.
Meeting Street
Meeting Street Caption: 'No.610--Ruins of Circular Church and Secession Hall.' Handwritten on reverse: 'A.A. Campbell, Charleston, S.C. March 5.1868.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
15.
Arsenal
Arsenal Handwritten on reverse: 'Arsenal gate, Charleston, So. Ca.' View of the gate to Charleston Arsenal (at 167 Ashley Ave). Four men in uniform stand just inside gate. Door to the building can be seen center in the distance. There are children in the foreground, two are standing near a wooden tricycle at left. The Arsenal was constructed in 1841. Seized by the Confederates in December 1860, it was held by them throughout the war until 1865. In 1866, the federal government used the site as a Federal Military Reservation, but in 1879 the Arsenal was closed. This image was likely taken as part of the photographic survey done in 1865 but could have been taken at any time until 1879. This image measures 3 1/4" X 4".
16.
Folly Island
Folly Island Handwritten on reverse: 'This is my tent on Folly Island. Lieut D.C. Brown, RQM [Regimental Quarter Master] Vol Engs 186.' This is a carte-de-visite that measures 2 1/2" X 4".
17.
James Island
James Island Caption attached to reverse: 'One of the Confederate forts in the middle of James Island.' This is 5" X 7" image.
18.
Broad Street
Broad Street View of the ruins of St. Finbar's Cathedral, corner of Broad and Legare Streets [where St. John's Cathedral now stands]. Destruction is from the fire of December 1861. Handwritten on reverse: 'A.A. Campbell, Charleston, S.C. March 5. 1868.' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
19.
Washington, D.C.
Washington, D.C. Caption: 'Washington, D.C.' View of tents, very likely a military camp, as soldiers can be standing in front of one. Assumed to have been taken sometime during the Civil War. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".
20.
Broad Street
Broad Street Caption: 'No.6. Ruins of St. Finbar's Cathedral, Charleston, S.C. These ruins can be seen at the corner of Broad and Friend Streets. It fell a prey to the terrible conflagration of December, 1861. The corner-stone was laid in August, 1852, and it was dedicated in April, 1854. It occupies the site of the old St. Finbar's, a wooden building..' This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".