Handwritten on reverse: 'Arsenal gate, Charleston, So. Ca.' View of the gate to Charleston Arsenal (at 167 Ashley Ave). Four men in uniform stand just inside gate. Door to the building can be seen center in the distance. There are children in the foreground, two are standing near a wooden tricycle at left. The Arsenal was constructed in 1841. Seized by the Confederates in December 1860, it was held by them throughout the war until 1865. In 1866, the federal government used the site as a Federal Military Reservation, but in 1879 the Arsenal was closed. This image was likely taken as part of the photographic survey done in 1865 but could have been taken at any time until 1879. This is a stereograph image which measures 3 1/2" X 7".