4 Green Way. Built circa 1817, restored 1972. Alternately used as a dormitory and faculty offices through the years, it is affectionately referred to as the "shack." It served as the first dormitory for women at the College in 1960.
On back of photograph: "Recitation room of Lewis R. Gibbes In College of Charleston, Charleston, S.C. 1838-1892." The 1892 date is crossed through with pencil and written below it is: "1886 (when altered due to earthquake damage)."