Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Charleston (S.c) -- Bu... (53)
Universities and Colle... (53)
College of Charleston (53)

Date
1975 (42)
1974 (5)
n.d (4)
1973-1974 (1)
1987 (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
21.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Photograph of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
22.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Photograph of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
23.
Farr House
Farr House Photograph of the Farr House, 69 Coming St. House was built in 1817 on land given by William Blacklock to his daughter Katherine and her husband Nathaniel Farr. The College acquired the residence in 1974.
24.
Coming Street
Coming Street 70 Coming St. Built circa 1840 as a private residence. Acquired by the College in 1972.
25.
Coming Street
Coming Street 43 Coming St. Built circa 1800 and used at various times by the College as a fraternity and student residence.
26.
Coming Street
Coming Street 28 Coming St. Built circa 1835 as a private residence and acquired by the college in 1974, it is one of several student residences and sororities on Coming St.
27.
Coming Street
Coming Street 34 Coming St. Built circa 1776 by vintner Thomas Harvey, it is one of several student residences and sororities on Coming St.
28.
Clauss House
Clauss House Photograph of Clauss House, 5 College Way, built circa 1830. Abiel Bolles opened a female academy on property at 5 College Way and later built 7 and 9 College Way as the school expanded. The College acquired the residences in 1971. Physicians Auditorium visible in background. Abiel Bolles House, 7 College Way, on left.
29.
Bull Street
Bull Street Photograph of 2, 4, 6 and 8 Bull St. at intersection of Coming St. These identical houses were constructed in 1907 by E.M. Hacker as rental units and now serve as various student residences.
30.
Aiken House
Aiken House Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way. Built by Aiken in 1841 as a rental unit. Renovated by the College in 1971-1972. Its twin at 8 Green Way was demolished to make room for the Robert Scott Small library.
31.
George Street
George Street Photograph of house at 28 George St., current site of the F. Mitchell Johnson Physical Education Center. This notable antebellum house was destroyed while being moved by the College in 1979.
32.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Photograph of the dedication of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today. Dr. Stern on left.
33.
Towell Library
Towell Library Photograph of the interior of Towell Library, built circa 1856. Designed by George Walker and named after professor Edward Emerson Towell, the building served as the College library until 1972. Photograph taken after its conversion to a resource learning center after the completion of the Robert Scott Small Library.
34.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the Robert Scott Small Library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
35.
Wentworth Street
Wentworth Street Photograph of the College fraternities along 99-105 Wentworth St.
36.
Wentworth Street
Wentworth Street Photograph of 105 Wentworth St., one of several fraternity houses along the street. 103 and 105 Wentworth were built by the Mutual Real Estate Company in 1910 and acquired by the College in 1974.
37.
Green Way
Green Way 4 Green Way. Built circa 1817, restored 1972. Alternately used as a dormitory and faculty offices through the years, it is affectionately referred to as the "shack." It served as the first dormitory for women at the College in 1960.
38.
Simons Center
Simons Center Photograph of the Albert Simons Center for the Arts, 50 St. Philip St., during construction. Martindale-Bell House, 2 Green Way, visible on left across St. Philip St.
39.
Robert Scott Small Library
Robert Scott Small Library Photograph of the Robert Scott Small Library, 175 Calhoun St., possibly taken during construction of the wings in 1975. Scaffolding can be seen along building in rear of photograph.
40.
Sottile House
Sottile House Photograph of the Wilson-Sottile House, 11 College Way. This Queen Anne style home was built in 1891 by Charleston entrepreneur Samuel Wilson and was later owned by James Sottile, Albert Sottile and Albert's daughter, Mrs. J. C. Long. The College acquired the mansion in 1964.