Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Charleston (S.c) -- Bu... (53)
Universities and Colle... (53)
College of Charleston (53)

Date
1975 (42)
1974 (5)
n.d (4)
1973-1974 (1)
1987 (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: ▲ Title Description
1.
Aiken House
Aiken House Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way. Built by Aiken in 1841 as a rental unit. Renovated by the College in 1971-1972. Its twin at 8 Green Way was demolished to make room for the Robert Scott Small library.
2.
Barnard Elliott House
Barnard Elliott House Barnard Elliott House, 58 George St. Built in 1803 by planter Barnard Elliott. Purchased by the College in 1971 and restored by Albert Simons. Currently houses the John M. Rivers Communications Museum. Color, 9x13 cm.
3.
Bishop Robert Smith House
Bishop Robert Smith House President's House, 6 Glebe St., the oldest building on campus. Built in 1770 as the parsonage house for St. Philip's Episcopal Church and home to the College's first president, Bishop Robert Smith. Reverend Smith held some of the first classes at the College in this home. Acquired from St. Philip's Church in 1961 and restored in 1965.
4.
Blacklock House
Blacklock House Exterior of the William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St. One of the College's most prized buildings, the Blacklock House was built in 1800 for one of Charleston's wealthier merchants. It was acquired by the College in 1974. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
5.
Blacklock House
Blacklock House Exterior of the William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St. One of the College's most prized buildings, the Blacklock House was built in 1800 for one of Charleston's wealthier merchants. It was acquired by the College in 1974. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
6.
Bull Street
Bull Street Photograph of 2, 4, 6 and 8 Bull St. at intersection of Coming St. These identical houses were constructed in 1907 by E.M. Hacker as rental units and now serve as various student residences.
7.
Clauss House
Clauss House Photograph of Clauss House, 5 College Way, built circa 1830. Abiel Bolles opened a female academy on property at 5 College Way and later built 7 and 9 College Way as the school expanded. The College acquired the residences in 1971. Physicians Auditorium visible in background. Abiel Bolles House, 7 College Way, on left.
8.
College Mall
College Mall Photograph of College Mall looking towards Randolph Hall ca. 1975. Construction of north portico of Randolph Hall can be seen in background of photograph.
9.
Coming Street
Coming Street 43 Coming St. Built circa 1800 and used at various times by the College as a fraternity and student residence.
10.
Coming Street
Coming Street 70 Coming St. Built circa 1840 as a private residence. Acquired by the College in 1972.
11.
Coming Street
Coming Street 59 Coming St., built circa 1879. This former corner grocery now houses faculty offices.
12.
Coming Street
Coming Street 28 Coming St. Built circa 1835 as a private residence and acquired by the college in 1974, it is one of several student residences and sororities on Coming St.
13.
Coming Street
Coming Street 34 Coming St. Built circa 1776 by vintner Thomas Harvey, it is one of several student residences and sororities on Coming St.
14.
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm Photograph of a student inside Craig Cafeteria, 33 St. Philip St. Built in stages in 1962, 1970 and 1978, the Craig Cafeteria and Residence Hall originally included a student union and represented the College's first step in its expansion from the original main campus.
15.
Erckmann House
Erckmann House Photograph of the Erckmann House, 9 College Way, built circa 1835. Abiel Bolles opened a female academy on property at 5 College Way and later built 7 and 9 College Way as the school expanded. The College acquired the residences in 1971.
16.
Farr House
Farr House Photograph of the Farr House, 69 Coming St. House was built in 1817 on land given by William Blacklock to his daughter Katherine and her husband Nathaniel Farr. The College acquired the residence in 1974.
17.
George Street
George Street Photograph of house at 28 George St., current site of the F. Mitchell Johnson Physical Education Center. This notable antebellum house was destroyed while being moved by the College in 1979.
18.
Green Way
Green Way 4 Green Way. Built circa 1817, restored 1972. Alternately used as a dormitory and faculty offices through the years, it is affectionately referred to as the "shack." It served as the first dormitory for women at the College in 1960.
19.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.
20.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.