Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Charleston (S.c) -- Bu... (53)
Universities and Colle... (53)
College of Charleston (53)

Date
1975 (42)
1974 (5)
n.d (4)
1973-1974 (1)
1987 (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
1.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Photograph of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., prior to landscaping. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
2.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Front view of Randolph Hall and the cistern.
3.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.
4.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Coming St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
5.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Glebe St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
6.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Glebe St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
7.
Thompson-Muller House
Thompson-Muller House Thompson-Muller House, 20 Glebe St. Considered the house that "broke the glebe" of St. Philip's Episcopal church. Built circa 1846 and purchased by the College in 1971 from the Muller family, direct descendents of Mrs. Christiana Durkopp Kruse who originally purchased the lot.
8.
Bishop Robert Smith House
Bishop Robert Smith House President's House, 6 Glebe St., the oldest building on campus. Built in 1770 as the parsonage house for St. Philip's Episcopal Church and home to the College's first president, Bishop Robert Smith. Reverend Smith held some of the first classes at the College in this home. Acquired from St. Philip's Church in 1961 and restored in 1965.
9.
Porters Lodge
Porters Lodge Porters Lodge, 66 George St. This gate house on the original main campus, designed by E.B. (Edward Brickell) White, was built in 1850 to house the school's porter or custodian.
10.
Barnard Elliott House
Barnard Elliott House Barnard Elliott House, 58 George St. Built in 1803 by planter Barnard Elliott. Purchased by the College in 1971 and restored by Albert Simons. Currently houses the John M. Rivers Communications Museum. Color, 9x13 cm.
11.
Blacklock House
Blacklock House Exterior of the William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St. One of the College's most prized buildings, the Blacklock House was built in 1800 for one of Charleston's wealthier merchants. It was acquired by the College in 1974. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
12.
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm Photograph of a student inside Craig Cafeteria, 33 St. Philip St. Built in stages in 1962, 1970 and 1978, the Craig Cafeteria and Residence Hall originally included a student union and represented the College's first step in its expansion from the original main campus.
13.
Rivers House
Rivers House William James Rivers House, 40 Coming St, with newly constructed Stern Student Center visible in background. Rivers House, built in 1851, was the residence of William James Rivers, historian and founder of the South Carolina Historical Society. The house was acquired by the College in 1971.
14.
Rivers House
Rivers House William James Rivers House, 40 Coming St, with newly constructed Stern Student Center visible on left. Rivers House, built in 1851, was the residence of William James Rivers, historian and founder of the South Carolina Historical Society. The house was acquired by the College in 1971.
15.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Interior view of Harrison Randolph Hall during restoration.
16.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.
17.
Blacklock House
Blacklock House Exterior of the William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St. One of the College's most prized buildings, the Blacklock House was built in 1800 for one of Charleston's wealthier merchants. It was acquired by the College in 1974. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
18.
Erckmann House
Erckmann House Photograph of the Erckmann House, 9 College Way, built circa 1835. Abiel Bolles opened a female academy on property at 5 College Way and later built 7 and 9 College Way as the school expanded. The College acquired the residences in 1971.
19.
Coming Street
Coming Street 59 Coming St., built circa 1879. This former corner grocery now houses faculty offices.
20.
Farr House
Farr House Photograph of the Farr House, 69 Coming St. House was built in 1817 on land given by William Blacklock to his daughter Katherine and her husband Nathaniel Farr. The College acquired the residence in 1974.