Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Charleston (S.c) -- Bu... (49)
Universities and Colle... (49)
College of Charleston (49)

Date
1971 (37)
n.d (7)
1975 (3)
1974 (1)
1976 (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
1.
Barnard Elliott House
Barnard Elliott House Barnard Elliott House, 58 George St. Built in 1803 by planter Barnard Elliott. Purchased by the College in 1971 and restored by Albert Simons. Currently houses the John M. Rivers Communications Museum. Black and white, 20x25 cm.
2.
Unidentified
Unidentified Photograph of student in a laboratory in 1971, pre-dating construction of the Science Center. Laboratory probably located in Randolph Hall.
3.
Campus
Campus Aerial view of the College of Charleston campus in 1971 looking north. Construction of the Robert Scott Small Library visible in upper left. Randolph Hall in center left of photo.
4.
St. Philips Church
St. Philips Church View of the steeple of St. Philips Episcopal Church, 146 Church St. Photograph appeared in the 1971 comet.
5.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way, during renovation. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the Robert Scott Small Library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
6.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way, before renovation and relocation. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the Robert Scott Small Library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
7.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way, during construction of the Robert Scott Small Library. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the new library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
8.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way, during construction of the Robert Scott Small Library. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the new library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
9.
Wagener House
Wagener House Wagener House, 6 Green Way, during construction of the Robert Scott Small Library. Built circa 1817 and nearly demolished in 1971 to make way for the new library. Three women alumnae of the College prevented its destruction. It is believed to be named after Hancke F. Wagener, a professor of languages in the late 1800's.
10.
Aiken House
Aiken House Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way. Built by Aiken in 1841 as a rental unit. Renovated by the college in 1971-1972. Its twin at 8 Green Way was demolished to make room for the Robert Scott Small library. Black and white, 20 1/2x25 cm.
11.
Aiken House
Aiken House Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way. Built by Aiken in 1841 as a rental unit. Renovated by the college in 1971-1972. Its twin at 8 Green Way was demolished to make room for the Robert Scott Small library. Black and white, 20 1/2x25 cm.
12.
Thompson-Muller House
Thompson-Muller House Thompson-Muller House, 20 Glebe St., from construction lot of the Stern Student Center. Considered the house that "broke the glebe" of St. Philip's Episcopal church. Built circa 1846 and purchased by the College in 1971 from the Muller family, direct descendents of Mrs. Christiana Durkopp Kruse who originally purchased the lot.
13.
Thompson-Muller House
Thompson-Muller House Thompson-Muller House, 20 Glebe St., far left. Considered the house that "broke the glebe" of St. Philip's Episcopal church. Built circa 1846 and purchased by the College in 1971 from the Muller family, direct descendents of Mrs. Christiana Durkopp Kruse who originally purchased the lot.
14.
Robert Scott Small Library
Robert Scott Small Library View of construction of the Robert Scott Small Library in the reflection of a window.
15.
Green Way
Green Way Photograph of house on corner of Green St. ( Green Way) and Coming St. during demolition. Farr House visible across Coming St. on left.
16.
Aiken House
Aiken House Rear of Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way, during renovation.
17.
Masquerade party
Masquerade party Unidentified masquerade party at the College of Charleston.
18.
Robert Scott Small Library
Robert Scott Small Library Photograph appears to be the groundbreaking ceremony for the Robert Scott Small Library.
19.
Campus
Campus Aerial view of the College of Charleston campus in 1971. Construction of the Robert Scott Small Library visible in lower left. Buildings due east of library (towards top of photo) razed for Maybank Hall and other construction. College Street, then allowing vehicular traffic, runs on west side of library site. Randolph Hall, with Green St. (also with vehicles) running along its north side, visible on far right.
20.
Coming Street
Coming Street 74 Coming St., demolished by the College. Buist Rivers Residence Hall in background.