Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Subject
Charleston (S.c) -- Bu... (12)
Universities and Colle... (12)
College of Charleston (12)

Date
1966 (12)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
1.
Porters Lodge
Porters Lodge Students walking through Porters Lodge, 66 George St. This gate house on the original main campus, designed by E.B. (Edward Brickell) White, was built in 1850 to house the school's porter or custodian.
2.
Porters Lodge
Porters Lodge Students walking through Porters Lodge, 66 George St. This gate house on the original main campus, designed by E.B. (Edward Brickell) White, was built in 1850 to house the school's porter or custodian.
3.
Bishop Robert Smith House
Bishop Robert Smith House President's House, 6 Glebe St., the oldest building on campus. Built in 1770 as the parsonage house for St. Philip's Episcopal Church and home to the College's first president, Bishop Robert Smith. Reverend Smith held some of the first classes at the College in this home. Acquired from St. Philip's Church in 1961 and restored in 1965.
4.
Aiken House
Aiken House Governor William Aiken House, 10 Green Way. Built by Aiken in 1841 as a rental unit. Renovated by the College in 1971-1972. Its twin at 8 Green Way was demolished to make room for the Robert Scott Small library. Color, 13x18 cm.
5.
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm Photograph of students sitting and talking outside of Craig Union Dorm, 33 St. Philip St. Built in stages in 1962, 1970 and 1978, the Craig Cafeteria and Residence Hall originally included a student union and represented the College's first step in its expansion from the original main campus.
6.
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm
Craig Residence Hall and Union Dorm Photograph of students sitting and talking outside of Craig Union Dorm, 33 St. Philip St. Built in stages in 1962, 1970 and 1978, the Craig Cafeteria and Residence Hall originally included a student union and represented the College's first step in its expansion from the original main campus.
7.
Buist Rivers Residence Hall
Buist Rivers Residence Hall Construction of Buist Rivers Residence Hall, 13 College Way. Sottile House visible at left. Built in 1967, this four story residence hall is named after G.L. Buist Rivers, a 1916 graduate of the College and former president of the board of trustees.
8.
Green Way
Green Way 4 Green Way. Built circa 1817, restored 1972. Alternately used as a dormitory and faculty offices through the years, it is affectionately referred to as the "shack." It served as the first dormitory for women at the College in 1960.
9.
Towell Library
Towell Library Photograph of two students on steps of Towell Library, built circa 1856. Designed by George Walker and named after professor Edward Emerson Towell, the building served as the College library until 1972.
10.
Sottile House
Sottile House Photograph of the Wilson-Sottile House, 11 College Way. This Queen Anne style home was built in 1891 by Charleston entrepreneur Samuel Wilson and was later owned by James Sottile, Albert Sottile and Albert's daughter, Mrs. J. C. Long. The College acquired the mansion in 1964.
11.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Close up of front of Randolph Hall.
12.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Close up of portico columns on Randolph Hall.