Lowcountry Digital Library © 2009 Lowcountry Digital Librarypowered by CONTENTdm®

preferenceshelpabout uscontact us
homebrowseadvanced search my favorites
 

Refine Search

Date
1975 (42)
1974 (5)
n.d (4)
1973-1974 (1)
1987 (1)

This is the old Lowcountry Digital Library.
Please visit our NEW WEBSITE HERE http://lcdl.library.cofc.edu for all of this content and more!

College of Charleston Photographs

 Sort by: Title Description
1.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Front view of Randolph Hall and the cistern.
2.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Interior view of Harrison Randolph Hall during restoration.
3.
Wentworth Street
Wentworth Street Photograph of the College fraternities along 99-105 Wentworth St.
4.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Close-up of front portico of Randolph Hall.
5.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Fisheye view of Randolph Hall and the cistern.
6.
Porters Lodge
Porters Lodge Fisheye view of Porters Lodge and the cistern yard.
7.
Randolph Hall
Randolph Hall Fisheye view looking up at front portico of Randolph Hall.
8.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.
9.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Coming St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
10.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Glebe St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
11.
Stern Student Center
Stern Student Center Construction site of the Theodore S. Stern Student Center, 71 George St., looking towards Glebe St. Finished in 1975, the Stern Center was named after Dr. Stern who, as president, ushered the College into the modern era by increasing enrollment and purchasing much of the property that makes up the College today.
12.
Thompson-Muller House
Thompson-Muller House Thompson-Muller House, 20 Glebe St. Considered the house that "broke the glebe" of St. Philip's Episcopal church. Built circa 1846 and purchased by the College in 1971 from the Muller family, direct descendents of Mrs. Christiana Durkopp Kruse who originally purchased the lot.
13.
Erckmann House
Erckmann House Photograph of the Erckmann House, 9 College Way, built circa 1835. Abiel Bolles opened a female academy on property at 5 College Way and later built 7 and 9 College Way as the school expanded. The College acquired the residences in 1971.
14.
Coming Street
Coming Street 59 Coming St., built circa 1879. This former corner grocery now houses faculty offices.
15.
Farr House
Farr House Photograph of the Farr House, 69 Coming St. House was built in 1817 on land given by William Blacklock to his daughter Katherine and her husband Nathaniel Farr. The College acquired the residence in 1974.
16.
Coming Street
Coming Street 70 Coming St. Built circa 1840 as a private residence. Acquired by the College in 1972.
17.
Coming Street
Coming Street 43 Coming St. Built circa 1800 and used at various times by the College as a fraternity and student residence.
18.
Blacklock House
Blacklock House Exterior of the William Blacklock House, 18 Bull St. One of the College's most prized buildings, the Blacklock House was built in 1800 for one of Charleston's wealthier merchants. It was acquired by the College in 1974. Listed as a National Historic Landmark.
19.
Jonas Beard House
Jonas Beard House Jonas Beard House, 114 Wentworth St. Built circa 1805 by Jonas Beard on glebe land leased from St. Philip's Church. The College acquired the house in 1975 from the grocery store proprietors who owned the property. The corner entrance was moved to the center of the structure during renovations.
20.
Bishop Robert Smith House
Bishop Robert Smith House President's House, 6 Glebe St., the oldest building on campus. Built in 1770 as the parsonage house for St. Philip's Episcopal Church and home to the College's first president, Bishop Robert Smith. Reverend Smith held some of the first classes at the College in this home. Acquired from St. Philip's Church in 1961 and restored in 1965.