Shield-1 x 2 x 2" Top of box-0.625 x 2.5 x 2.5" Bottom of box-1.5 x 2.5 x 2." Breast feeding: Nipple shield. Lead nipple shields housed in a red paper box and used for the prevention and cure of sore nipples by placing the shield over the nipple during times of rest. Only one of the two shields is still intact with the remains housed in the original box and the surviving shield displaying loss at the top and sides.
0.75 x 2.75 x 2.75" Breast feeding: Nipple shield. Two glass nipple shields with hollow centers. These glass shields were used to allow milk to be drawn out of the breast without contact by the nursing child. The shape of the shield allows for the nipple to be inserted into the shield and by pressing against the flat top would allow milk to be drawn out, additionally a small hole is located on the side of the shield where a tube would be inserted and the milk could continue to flow outward.
16 x 9.5 x 7". Water purification. Clear glass still for Novocain administration and accessories. Metal frame with two arms which hold two clear glass distilling tubes to distill liquid. It was used for distilled water to be used with Novocain before the advent of carpules (c. 1935). Set includes two small white glazed stoneware containers with metal wire handles which could be used to dissolve pills for filling syringes with Novocain. A small glass Bunsen burner is also part of the set.
3.5 x 10 x 7". Clothing:Nursing:Uniform:Cap. School of Nursing of the Medical College of the State of South Carolina and Roper Hospital cap, made of white cotton and white button closure to give the fabric shape.
3.5 x 7 x 7.5". Clothing:Nursing:Uniform:Cap. Charleston Training School for Nurses student cap made of mesh that has browned and a white band with ruffles around the rim. Item belongs to the College of Nursing.
4 x 10 x 5.5". Clothing:Nursing:Uniform:Cap. Blue cotton hat that matches the Student Public Health Nursing uniform. The interior distinguishes the size as large and has an interior tag that reads, "JEANNE M. BOUVETTE".
0.75x14x0.75. Blood Vessel Prosthesis. "Two Orlon grafts that were the first seamless fabric prostheses used in arterial transplants. housed in a "Edwards Teflon Arterial Graft" box and made of Teflon. The original Orlon graft was hand loomed in 1955 by J.C. Hubbard. Jr." who at that time was a graduate student in textiles at Clemson."